内容正文:
★ 教材原文
Cao Chong weighs an elephant
曹冲称象
Cao Chong was the son of Cao Cao.
曹冲是曹操的儿子。
One day, Sun Quan sent Cao Cao a present. It was a huge elephant.
一日,孙权送给曹操一个礼物——一头大象。
Cao Cao wanted to find out the weight of the elephant.
曹操想知道大象的重量。
“What a huge animal it is! Can anyone tell me how to weigh it?” he asked the crowd around him.
“好大的动物!谁有办法把这头大象称一称有多重?”他问他周围的人。
“Can we get a large scale?” asked a soldier. However, no one could find a scale large enough.
一个士兵问“能给我们一个大秤吗?”。但是,没有人能找到一个足够大的秤。
“Can we cut it up?” asked another soldier. “No. I don't want to kill it,” said Cao Cao.
另一个士兵问“我们能把它切开吗?”曹操说:“不,我不想杀了它。”
Just then, young Cao Chong had a wonderful idea. “I can weigh the elephant!” he said “let me have a try.”
这时,年幼的曹冲有了主意“我能称象。”他说。“让我试试。”
Cao Chong asked some soldiers to lead the elephant onto a boat.
曹冲让一些士兵把大象带到一艘大船上。
As the heavy animal walked onto it, the boat went lower into the water.
当这个庞大的动物走上船时,船在水中下沉了。
Cao Chong drew a line on the side of the boat to mark how low it we