内容正文:
新教材·英语 必修·第一册[译林版]
Section Ⅳ Extended reading & Project
Mama and Her Bank Account
妈妈的银行账户
Every Saturday night Mama would sit down by the kitchen table and count out the money Papa had brought home.
每个星期六的晚上,妈妈都会坐在餐桌旁,清点爸爸带回家的钱。
“For the rent.” Mama would count out the big silver pieces.
“这些付房租。”妈妈会先把大面额的银币点出来。
“For the groceries.” Another group of coins.
“这些买生活用品。”又是一摞硬币。
“I'll need a notebook.” That would be my sister Christine, my brother Nels or me.
“我需要一个笔记本。”说这话的,通常是我妹妹克里斯蒂娜,或者我哥哥内尔斯,要不就是我。
词句自测
①account n. 账户;描述;解释 vt. 认为是,视为
②rent n.租金 vi.& vt. 租用;出租
③grocery n. 食品杂货;食品杂货店
Mama would put one or two coins to the side.
妈妈听完会拿出一两个硬币到一旁。
We would watch with anxious interest.
我们几个都紧张地看着。
At last, Papa would ask, “Is that all?”
最后,爸爸会问:“就这些了?”
And when Mama nodded, we could relax a little.
妈妈点点头,我们几个都稍稍松了口气。
Mama would look up and smile, “Good. We do not have to go to the Bank.”
妈妈会抬起头,微笑着说:“太好了,我们不用去银行啦。”
We were all so proud of Mama's Bank Account.
我们所有人都为妈妈的银行账户感到十分自豪。
It gave us such a warm, secure feeling.
它让我们觉得如此温暖、有安全感。
词句自测
④secure adj. 安心的;可靠的;牢固的
When Nels graduated from grammar school, he wanted to go on to high school.
从文法学校毕业后,内尔斯想继续读中学。
“It will cost a little money,” he said.
“上学要花点钱。”他说。
Eagerly we gathered around the table.
于是一家人又急切地围到了餐桌旁。
I took down a box and laid it carefully in front of Mama.
我取下一个盒子,小心翼翼地放在妈妈面前。
This was the “Little Bank”.
这个小盒子是我们的“小金库”。
●It was used for sudden emergencies, such as the time when Christine broke her arm and had to be taken to a doctor.
它是用来应对突发的紧急情况,比如有一回,克里斯蒂娜摔断了胳膊,必须送去看医生。
词句自测
⑤graduate vi.& vt. 毕业 n. 毕业生
⑥gather vi. 聚集, 集合 vt. 收拢;搜集,收集;聚集
⑦emergency n. 突发事件,紧急情况
⑧when 引导定语从句,相当于in which, 修饰先行词the time。
Nels listed the costs of the things he would need.
内尔斯先列出了他所需物品的开支清单。
Mama counted out the money in the Little Bank.
妈妈清点了小金库里所有的钱。
There was not enough.
还是不够。
“We do not want to go to the Bank,” she reminded.
“大家都不想动银行里的存款吧。”妈妈提醒。
We all shook our heads.
我们几个都摇了摇头。
“I will work in Dillon's groce