内容正文:
必修三
Unit 4 SpaceExploration
Reading and Thinking
第贰部分
THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE
百万英镑
ACT 1, SCENE 3
Money is a good servant and a bad master. 金钱是善仆,也是恶主。
--弗朗西斯·培根
(英国文艺复兴时期散文家、哲学家)
Act I, Scene 3 第一幕,第三场
Narrator: Two rich brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million-pound bank note a man could live a month in London.
旁白: 罗德里克和奥利弗这对富家兄弟打了个赌。
奥利弗认为一张面值百万英镑的钞票能让一个人在伦敦活一个月。
narrator (书、戏剧或电影中的)叙述者,讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员
同位语
打赌
that引导宾语从句
His brother Roderick doubts it. They see a poor young man walking outside their house. It is Henry Adams.
他的兄弟罗德里克则表示怀疑。
他们看到一个穷困潦倒的年轻人从户外走过。此人是亨利·亚当斯。
see + 宾语 + 宾补
v.怀疑
Roderick: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
罗德里克: 小伙子,请进来一下,好吗?
Henry: Who? Me, sir?
亨利: 谁?我吗,先生?
Roderick: Yes, you.
罗德里克:是的,你。
走进,进入
Servant: (opening a door) Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
仆人: (打开房门)早上好,先生。请进。
(Henry enters the house)
(亨利走进屋里。)
Roderick: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?
罗德里克:你好,你是……?
n. 仆人,佣人
Henry: Adams. Henry Adams.
亨利: 亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯。
Oliver: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
奥利弗: 进来坐吧,亚当斯先生。
Henry: Thank you.
亨 利: 谢谢。
Roderick: You’re an American?
罗德里克: 你是美国人?
Henry: That’s right, from San Francisco.
亨 利: 是的,我从旧金山来。
Roderick: May we ask what you’re doing in this country and what your plans are?
罗德里克:能告诉我们你来英国干什么吗?你有什么计划吗?
what引导宾语从句
陈述句形式的疑问句,读时仍用升调
Henry: Well, I can’t say that I have any plans. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
亨利: 呃,谈不上有什么计划。事实上,我流落英国是一场意外。
Oliver: How is that possible?
奥利弗: 怎么回事?
that引导宾语从句
事实上,实际上
v.(乘飞机或船)着陆,登陆
偶然地;意外地
Henry: Well, I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing, and towards night I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. The next morning I was spotted by a ship.
亨利: 呃,我自己有一艘小船。大约一个月前,我开船出海,傍晚时,一阵大风把我刮到了海上。第二天早晨,一艘船发现了我。
Oliver: And it was the ship that brought you to Engl